The American Association of Independent Music (A2IM) is a trade group representing independently owned recorded music companies. A2IM is uniquely positioned and serves as a central voice for a diverse community of independent labels operating within the United States by focusing on government advocacy, education, and creating business opportunities for its community. Our membership is comprised of over 600 record labels including Beggars Group, Epitaph, and Stones Throw as well as 200 relevant music businesses such as Spotify, Discogs, and SXSW. A2IM represents members’ interests in the marketplace, in media and tech, on Capitol Hill, and as part of the global music community.
Based in Washington, D.C., the lead Advocacy and Government Relations person will be responsible for representing the interests of the independent music sector ensuring that A2IM is fully aware of and participates in governmental actions related to and involving issues important to its members. This new role will report to and collaborate with the CEO on a range of legislative matters that impact A2IM’s label members. The successful candidate will ensure that they or the CEO have: ongoing dialog with key government officials; opportunities to testify before committees; a platform to assert A2IM’s voice in policy and legislative matters; and participation in any other relevant meetings. Additionally, they will represent A2IM members at various conferences and with organizations working on issues related to copyright, monetization and music usage.
This role will perform, but is not limited to the following responsibilities:
• Reporting to the CEO and keeping him apprised of a wide range of policy and legislative developments, initiatives and opportunities, and advising on and executing A2IM’s influence in these areas.
• Managing relationships with other music industry lobbyists and with music-tech company lobbyists.
• Maintaining relationships with congressional offices that affect music industry policy.
• Staying aware of conversations or discussions of legislation that in some way might affect music
• Talking to the DOJ regarding monopoly, antitrust and anti-competitive behavior that negatively
impacts independently owned record labels.
• Communicating with the FCC as applicable regarding matters that affect music copyright
monetization and usage.
• Setting up meetings for the A2IM CEO in DC and accompanying him to those meetings as necessary.
• Keeping the A2IM CEO up to date on opportunities to participate with other trade associations in
legislative matters that could be beneficial or harmful to the independent music segment.
• Reviewing, drafting, and editing legislative documents or amicus briefs.
• Attending and representing A2IM at conferences, in meetings, on calls, and at roundtables, with key organizations including but not limited to:
o Library of Congress, U.S. Copyright Office, etc. o CopyrightAlliance
• Educating and updating A2IM’s members on relevant legislative actions, e.g. participating in A2IM’s Government Relations webinar for A2IM members.
Required Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• Law degree preferred, but not required.
• Strong communication skills including general written and verbal presentation and interpersonal
• Impeccable telephone skills and etiquette.
• Dedicated interest in keeping up to date with music industry news and dynamic changes within the
recorded music industry, particularly as it relates to copyright, licensing, technology, and usage
affecting independently owned record labels.
• The ideal candidate should have had experience with issues that affect A2IM such as:
o Issues influencing safe harbor legislation
o USCO modernization or changes of procedure
• Passion ethic.
for the needs of independent music owners, and the highest level of integrity and work
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C. Some travel may be required, mainly to New York City. A2IM is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation and benefits.
To apply for the role or recommend a qualified candidate please email [email protected] and include A2IM Advocacy in the subject line.
Reply To: [email protected]