We are hiring an Associate Director, A&R to join AWAL’s Creative team in New York. Reporting into AWAL’s Head of A&R for North America, our ideal candidate doesn’t just know how to discover talent, but can also develop and cultivate that talent to make them a successful career artist. It’s essential that you have a track-record as a successful talent scout, but that experience does not have to be exclusive to a label or a publisher but could come from a wide range of different industries such as touring, marketing, digital partnerships etc. However, the most important thing is that you are showing you have a commitment to pursuing a career in music, have a strong work ethic as well as an ability to have opinions on artists with no regard to popular opinion!
WHAT DOES AN ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, A&R AT AWAL DO?
- Identify and pitch available established and superstar artists
- Research, identify and sign emerging artists
- Provide A&R direction and support on assigned projects
- Manage the administrative and deal making process for prospective clients
- Provide detailed analysis of prospective artist careers and audience engagement
- Forecast commercial viability based on data analysis.
- Work closely with Business Affairs and the Head of A&R to formulate deal proposals as well as the Publishing Creative to find songs and creative collaboration opportunities with Kobalt-published writers and producers
- Support and enhance signed artist’s creative vision
- Attend local new artist shows
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- A track-record of working successfully in an A&R role with an extensive network within all levels of the music industry (i.e. managers, lawyers, publishers, booking agents, songwriters, producers, independent labels & publicists)
- Knowledge of current and future trends in music, music business, and pop culture
- Exceptional understanding of the digital market and digital platforms
- Passionate and entrepreneurial as well as strong work ethic and a team player mindset and with strong work ethic and strong team player with just get it done mentality
What members of the team say:
“AWAL's values are a rare find in the music industry, in that they are genuinely practised by the team every day, without compromise. Because of our excitement for our roster and ambitious goals, AWAL has gained a reputation for a kind, respectful and progressive working culture, both internally and with our partners. I have never felt as supported by my colleagues and line managers as in my time here - day-to-day wins and wider industry recognition are equally warmly celebrated as a group effort. It's compelling to work for an independent label who is shaking up the status quo, and seeing massive success for our artists. “ - Gemma Hall, Manager
WHY CHOOSE US?
At Kobalt we’ve prioritized creators since we first started in 2000. Our music services and the technology we’ve built helps make the industry more fair and rewarding for artists. AWAL, Kobalt's recording company, is the partner of choice for innovative artists at all stages of their careers as we transform the way music is released by creating a high-quality path for artists to remain outside of the traditional label system. AWAL is the partner for catalogs from leading artists and labels including Lauv, Lil Peep, Rex Orange County, Girl in Red, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Dashboard Confessional, Glassnote Records (Childish Gambino, Mumford & Sons), Blue Raincoat Music / Chrysalis (Sinead O’Connor, The Specials), and many more!
We thrive on creativity and are committed to championing diversity. We’re dedicated to inclusiveness and provide all the resources and benefits you need to grow your career and reach your potential. We offer competitive compensation packages, professional development opportunities, and an entrepreneurial culture that makes working here not just fun, but also rewarding.
Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
Reply To: [email protected]