EnterGain, an executive search firm, is representing a start-up music publishing company (the “Company”), based in Los Angeles, led by a renowned songwriter and music publishing executive, funded by one of the top ranked investment management firms in the UK, and supported by a growing board comprised of senior executives and creatives from the music and entertainment industries.
The Chief Operating Officer (“COO”) will spearhead setting up a corporate structure, setting up a framework for onboarding copyrights and other assets, establishing royalty and finance processes and systems, managing office, studio and other infrastructure needs, shepherding human capital management, leading accounting and taking the lead on regular financial and operational reporting and presentations to the board and ownership. The COO will connect vital aspects of the business internally and externally and as such needs to lead with a hands-on start-up style, and be naturally innovative, magnetic and likable, with a track record of anticipating business needs, wearing multiple hats, and getting things done. The COO reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is based in the Company’s headquarters in Hollywood area of Los Angeles.
Catalog Acquisition and Management
• Work with CEO to acquire and onboard composition and copyright assets.
• Oversee valuations on catalog acquisitions and songwriter and producer signings, including prospective analysis on future valuations.
• Develop systems for ingesting and managing catalog assets and metadata.
• Ensure systems are writer-friendly, transparent and accurate.
• Partner with CEO to articulate Company values and process that attract the best employee talent and foster a creative, innovative and high-performance workplace.
• Provide leadership cross-functionally to a growing team, coaching employees on their own development and potential to increasingly contribute to the business.
• Contribute to organization design conversations.
• Collaborate with investors, board and CEO on designing incentive and equity programs that align employee behaviors with company goals.
• Support talent acquisition and new hire onboarding.
• Implement goal setting and talent development that align teams with Company objectives.
• Select and oversee partners in recruiting, payroll, benefits, etc.
Start-up Entity Operations
• Manage various holding company, division, joint venture and other corporate structure registration and administration.
• Select and oversee advisors for tax, legal, financial and legal needs.
• Manage regulatory filings and returns.
• Ensure risk management and compliance by creating policies and processes to comply with regulations and best practices.
• Work closely with the CEO to create inspiring productive space for staff and writers.
• Lead all real estate, office and studio needs, including acquisition, leasing, and build out.
• Ultimate responsibility for studio operations including booking utilization, capital investments, and maintenance.
• Enable rapid growth with effective IT strategy and implementation, by anticipating and meeting the desktop, mobile, business applications, enterprise software, storage, privacy and security needs of the business.
• Custom-tune CRM tools for songs for placement, sync, and pitching writers and producers for co-writes and collaborations.
• Procure technology and engage related services and advisors as needed.
Accounting, Finance, Royalties and Board and Shareholder Relations
• Play a key role in building and updating business systems and processes.
• Establish financial systems, policies and procedures. Preparation of annual operating budgets, financial reports and regulatory filings.
• Monitoring agreed KPIs and escalating issues to the CEO and Board.
• Lead solutions for ongoing effective risk management and regulatory compliance.
• Oversee royalties and manage third-party administrator.
• Manage associated advisors including consultants/controllership teams, accountants and auditors.
• Assist with the production of board packs and investor updates.
• Provide a point of contact for the M&G investment team on all operational and financial matters.
• Build a team of external attorneys and auditors to support various needs of a high-growth creative intellectual property business.
Candidates could come from many different professional backgrounds. Ideally candidates will have spent at least some of their career in start-ups and music publishing and have an intimate working knowledge of royalties and royalty systems.
Contact - To express interest in this opportunity, or to recommend a qualified candidate, please contact the Company’s exclusive recruiter for this opportunity at [email protected] and include “Music Publishing COO 2020” in the subject line.
Reply To: [email protected]