TIDAL is the leading high-fidelity artist-centric music streaming and experiential entertainment company. TIDAL is available in 53 countries and offers an industry leading 60 million songs and 250,000 high quality videos, including the music catalogs from all three majors and virtually all of the indies, as well as exclusive content curated by artists. The company is committed to artist diversity and empowerment. Since 2015 it has been run as the only artist owned streaming service after a consortium of artists led by Jay-Z acquired and relaunched the service. In addition to music streaming, the company operates experiential programs TIDAL X and TIDAL Rising which deliver experiences that bring artists and fans closer together. Today the platform has millions of paid subscribers, is available on Mac, PC, Android, iPhone and other devices, is available over all major mobile carriers, and enjoys a significant partnership and co-marketing arrangement with Sprint.
TIDAL seeks an executive level attorney in the role of SVP Business Affairs and Licensing, based in the New York office and reporting to the CEO. The executive should have strong experience working in music (both master and publishing side), tech and content, with especially deep experience working in or with music publishing or PRO organizations. The right hire will negotiate, implement and preside over the broad range of contracts, agreements, label and publisher relationships, and third-party partnerships essential to running a growing profitable enterprise at the convergence of culture, music, video, content, licensing, subscriptions, streaming and technology. This SVP will have a reputation for working comfortably with business executives and creative leaders, staff at all levels, third-party partners, artists, and boards, owners and investors. The executive will be a valued colleague on the senior management team and lead a small team with staff in NYC, Oslo and LA.
• Lead the business affairs, legal and licensing functions for the company globally.
• Develop a short and long range plan for the BA function to improve the position of the company and make a lasting impact on its growth.
• Assess issues, risks and opportunities across business and legal disciplines; research and evaluate options; and advise senior management on strategies and priorities.
• Serve as the legal expert on risk, compliance, copyright, licensing, intellectual property, production, privacy, sweepstakes, employment compliance and other matters.
• Partner with distributors, labels, artists and their managers to arrive at mutually beneficial arrangements for rights holders and the company.
• Represent the company in its relationships with various PROs and trade bodies, and other organizations in the entertainment and technology ecosystems.
• Lead negotiations with third parties, artists, technology partners, investors and others.
• Articulate and defend the company’s position in contracts.
• Ensure compliance and actively mitigate risk for the business.
• Architect repeatable deal structures that facilitate the growth of experiential artist and fan offerings and other emerging aspects of the company's business.
• Develop standards and procedures for efficiently managing a high volume of transactions including tracking and enforcing their terms.
• Make TIDAL a partner of choice for artists, labels, distributors, brands and other partners.
• Guide and mentor a small team of lawyers and other professionals.
• Be an approachable resource to colleagues at all levels and across all functions of the company.
• NY Admitted attorney with specific business, legal and licensing experience in the entertainment, technology, and music industries.
• Extensive experience in copyright, licensing and intellectual property law, contracts, negotiation and litigation.
• Good reputation among constituents and business affairs peers in PROs, music publishers, labels and distributors.
• Advanced research, drafting, and negotiation skills.
• The ability to pivot across legal disciplines in a fast moving entertainment and technology company.
• Strong business acumen, with a clear intuition about feasibility and financial impact of contract and deal terms in a wide variety of business areas.
• Demonstrated track record of excelling in creative business environments.
• Highest integrity and work ethic.
• Creative deal maker who supports innovation.
• Excellent communicator in formal and informal, written and verbal settings.
• Relationship builder who upholds decorum and respect even in the most adversarial negotiations.
• Strong colleague and company advocate who sets an example of professionalism within the company.
• Sought after developer of staff, and peer mentor.
Reply To: [email protected]